• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

fish oil is bad

asecin

Bluelighter
i have been trying to find conclusive evidence of how healthy and awesome fish oil is for a long time, but all results lead to overrated statements and inconclusive science reports. still, i decided to trust what commercial advertising was telling me and that it was really good for you !

http://www.drugs.com/news/heart-healthy-omega-3s-not-healthy-prostate-study-30961.html

i feel cheated. not only is it not beneficial, but it can be detrimental ? oh my. :\

Asecin, this study is simplified into DHA levels in the blood. From a quick skim, I see "highest levels", meaning you take a crapton of Omega-3s and "lowest levels", which is base level amount of the inflammation-reducing compound. You are correct on one level, however: taking fish oil as a supplement is pointless. Just eat some fish and call it a day. Or have some flax seed.

""Overall, the beneficial effects of eating fish to prevent heart disease outweigh any harm related to prostate cancer risk," Brasky said."

Unless you supplement omega-3s every day (which some people do), you're not at any particular risk.

FTA

"The study also found that the risk of aggresive prostate cancer was 50 percent lower in men with the highest blood levels of trans-fatty acids, which are abundant in processed foods and associated with inflammation and heart disease."

yeah great idea man brb going to burger king. :)

^ I noticed that too, but figured I was seein' shit. Hahahaha.

Hang on, lemme get some junk food. Also: I don't think BK uses hydrogenated oils to cook their food. Perhaps that's just NYS though.

I just figured they did since they dont have a huge sign on the door proclaiming "NO TRANS FATS"

"The study also found that the risk of aggresive prostate cancer was 50 percent lower in men with the highest blood levels of trans-fatty acids, which are abundant in processed foods and associated with inflammation and heart disease."

This makes it seem like if you have lower levels of trans-fatty acids in your blood, you are at lower risk for aggressive prostate cancer but at a higher risk for inflammation and heart disease.

Sounds like a lose-lose situation to me. Although I'm sure we're not seeing the whole picture here. I supplement with fish oils every few days, and I haven't had fast food in ages (I had my first hamburger in months yesterday and it was amazing, however)....so where do we go from here? haha

I supplement with fish oil to fight inflammation from working out and feelings of bipolar. Any increased risk of cancer is worth it to me. Something like one in three people get a form of cancer during their lifetimes and that % is only going up.

I supplement with fish oil to fight inflammation from working out and feelings of bipolar. Any increased risk of cancer is worth it to me. Something like one in three people get a form of cancer during their lifetimes and that % is only going up.

Oh wow, I wasn't aware that the percentage was so high, at least that means it certainly cannot be attributed to only fish oil intake...;)

FTA

yeah great idea man brb going to burger king. :)

Wow, reducing cancer by being unhealthy...

Woohoo! :D

lol guys i know it may sound trollish that eating trans-fatty acids and other crap may be beneficial, but i believe it too because life is about balance, you need bad to experience good. sick of guys obsessed with "always beneficial" type of lifestyle with obsession on healthy, "antioxidant" rich products.
its life 101, a little bit of bad and a little bit of good, balance it out so it feels the best. ;)